Monday, December 17, 2012

aku, mereka dan karipap

So Medsoc (student body of my university) held an international food fair, and guess who decided to cook.
:) I opted to make karipap and in return, got three people to help me out. It still surprises me that it happened because jarang-jarang orang nak volunteer ni. Kekeke. *beware, dramatic post ahead*

Actors and actress.
Me.
One son of a karipap expert.
One who made karipap before.
And one who had many ideas about how to make a good dish. 

And I had to write this down, because honestly, I thought, after dealing with many people, I realised how little control I have, over my life. Overly uptight. >.< kyaaa~ I hope writing would help make me more aware of what I'm thinking, feeling and doing. 

The dough, the filling, the folding all went well. :) Well, the second dough was a lil' on the softer side, so it was quite a task to prepare that one :P but thank God, we made it somehow.

For the sake of health and the limited time we had, we decided to cook the karipaps in the oven. Then the catastrophe (at least that's how I see it) occurred. 
Somehow, they didn't brown as expected, and the filling inside got somewhat burnt. :O :O :O 
I was one batch too late to realise that the karipaps I made before were with sardine filling, not curry, so I hadn't any problem cooking them in the oven before. 
Honestly, I never ever thought of this possibility. THE HORROR! In other word, it was a failure. Presentation and taste-wise. And that stoned me for quite a while. 

Then, panic. Hahaha. Macam mana nak kasi orang makan karipap kalau tak sedap????? Dahlah karipap macam anaemic. T_T *sesungguhnya, I panicked to the point that there wasn't any photo of the karipap at all* 

I was in denial for a few minutes. Questioning my failure status. If this were an individual task, I may very well draw out from the food fair but that wasn't a valid option. 
I tried calming myself with the mantra "Aku nak jadi doktor, bukan tukang masak, so takpe kalau lacking pun". And you guys also tried to tell me it was okay. "Untuk standard budak medic, boleh lah". *in all honesty, that actually scared me more*  

Which eventually lead to us frying the karipaps in the end. 
I believe I was still lost that time, almost burnt the karipap, yet again. "Zizi! Think, think!

-----

Ohkay, so the drama ended and I'm much calmer now. Thank God. :) It was a rather weird but definitely building experience. Ejai told me, I have to tone down when it comes to accepting criticism. I realised this problem a long time ago. And yes, I could improve on my karipap. :) 
Bak kata Abah, "just because you had an accident, it doesn't mean you should stop cycling" when Luqman crushed his humeral condyles because of a bicycle ride. 
Yes, we could improve. 

-----

I know I thanked you people for participating already, but ini adalah a black ant on a black rock in the dark of the night:

Thanks Faliq, for the honest comments. Do share the fantabulous recipe you know with the rest of us! Nak rasa jugak karipap super sedap! :)
Thanks Wafy, for keeping calm through the storm and cleaning up after the mess, physically and psychologically. :D
And thank you both for taking over when I was "lost". ie daripada siap masak first batch dalam oven sampailah after the food fair ended. 
Thanks Syamira, for accompanying and helping out and proof photos. 
Thanks Beyo, for coming to help and the nasi impit kuah kacang.  
Thanks Ejai and As, for the space :P.
The karipaps may not have journeyed to the Hall without the myriad of help from you people.  
May Allah bless you people, and that when you need help, He'll ease it for you.

For the adventure,
Alhamdulillah.

-----

Owh and another update, :) Alhamdulillah, one more exam done, another 6 to go before ending school.
And a whole lot of self improvement to go with before I die. 

2 comments:

Syamira Zaki said...

who knows one can learn alot from making karipaps! ekekeke.. keep it up gal! =)

neneknora said...

kyaaa.. :P agaklah.. XD
life is a neverending lesson, and the more variable the situation, the more hectic things get. hahaha.
experience FTW!!!

but of course

Bismillah So, it has been done. A visit to the mental health practitioner. Starting therapy and new medications. Perhaps a flaw in the pl...